Saturday, December 3, 2016

Advent Day 3 | Backgrounds!






 Now I've not done much drawing-art in my life by comparison. In fact, I barely manage to keep it in practice. I hope I can do better in the future. 
But I've learned a bit and here's one really awesome tip.

IT'S STARTS WITH A B.


AND ALSO HAPPENS TO BE THE TITLE OF THIS POST.




Backgrounds!





<-- See here.

This took me too long. 
TOO LONG.
But get the point. Backgrounds are helpful. 
Let's see how this progresses.





So here now we've got my little character. Saoirse. She's kick-butt, but we're not so much talking about her as we are discussing things...okeys.
Alright, my original thought when scribbling all this was: "I'M GOING TO ANIMATE, AND IT'S GOING TO BE AMAZING."




HAHAHAHA.
I've had no animation inspiration since. I messed with this picture for upwards of five hours. I had no idea what I was doing.



And so then I drew and drew and drew, three days worth of scribbling my afternoons away, and I got this.


Uh oh.



What's she doing?


I don't know, but it doesn't look good.


But hey, that background does.


I've realised that backgrounds make or break animations/drawings/films/pictures WHAT THE HECK. The background is just as important as the foreground.
Take a peek at dis familiar picture.

Leonardo Da Vinci, me ole pal, you were crazy.

This is the Mona Lisa, if you didn't know. :P
And I want you to look at the background.


Hard.


See the colours.


Do you see that bridge?

I do.


And what about those trees off in the distance?





lookit all the things.


See the serious detail?

See the usage of colours? The way there are oranges and yellows, greens and blues, and light--lots of light.





Da Vinci got de background importance bit.

The details in the background are as important as the main object itself.
You never see a portrait with exceptional amounts of junk all around. (HAHA. *watches as you guys find one.)
It's an Art Principle!

It's a simple idea that applies to everything...theatre productions, the minor roles and costumes are equally important to clothing and overall presence of the lead.

You can't decorate before you clean. (As I have noticed this evening while cleaning house, realising that all this Christmas decorating can not be done until the tidying is finished!)

And you can't focus when there's too much going on! It's just facts.

Anywayz, there are some artsy thoughts. Watch the background guys! Notice the way a tree curves, or the light reflects from a puddle--enjoy the art of the natural God-given background!

And then go to a dirty city and moan. Hahaha. XD

Here are a few other things.


Another before and after thing.



And here's my little animating attempt. 


See you tomorrow!
-Jess

(I. Am. So. Tired. Things'll get better around here. Just give it a few days. :) )



2 comments:

  1. Great post! Very true, backgrounds can make or break a piece of artwork.
    Also, thanks for making me focus on the background of the Mona Lisa! I hadn't noticed all that detail before, it's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Glad to help you see. :) It's one of my favourite things to do. XD

      Delete

You are most welcome to comment, indeed, i wish you would.
Comment. Now....